Skip to main content

How to Study the Bible II

For better understanding, please, read the previous article on How to study the Bible I

When starting out, spend the majority of your time in the New Testament (primarily in the letters the Apostle Paul wrote to the early churches). In light of this, we suggest you look for and underline phrases such as "in Him," "in Whom" and "in Christ." These phrases are found 134 times in The New Testament from Acts to Revelation. Every one of them has something to offer you personally because according to Ephesians 2:6, you are in Christ!
Make what God says the authority in your life. That means we shouldn't just believe what God says to us in His Word, but we should also act on it. Acting on it is what pro­duces results (Matthew 7:24-27). Part of act­ing on the Word includes speaking it. You will find that what you really believe in your heart is what you speak all the time-and what you speak determines what happens in your life (Mark 11:23).
Once you start speaking God's Word about your needs, do not speak anything contrary to it. For example, if you need healing, do not let the focus of your words be about your sickness. Rather, confess what the Word says about it, "By His stripes I am healed accord­ing to Isaiah 53:4-5."
Like a sponge, soak in as much Word as possible. Then, when you are faced with a situation that requires the wisdom of God, the life of God will flow from you-through your words-to meet any man's need on any level. And that's the best way to study the Word-with the intent of helping and loving others as well as yourself.

To help in your study, we recommend the following:
1. Young's Analytical Concordance- a great help in finding verses that pertain to specific situations or needs. It contains the Hebrew and Greek word translations.
2. Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance – a dictionary of Hebrew, Chaldee and Greek words
3. Vine’s Expository Dictionary of Biblical Words- a dictionary for scriptural words and meanings
4. Expositions of Holy by Alexander Maclaren – a 17-volume series that includes sermons and expositions from almost every book of the bible, and the most comprehensive index of any major expositional work.
You also can use many different translations of the bible during your study time. To start out you may want to use the King James Version and The Amplified Bible.
You can also use books and tapes of other ministries; however, do not allow them to take the place of the place of your personal study time. Take what they have learned and allow the Holy Spirit to add to it. And, of course, no matter what material you study, be sure it lines up with God’s word.

Here are some steps to follow in study the word:
  • Apply the word to yourself personally
  • Allow the Holy Spirit to make the word a reality in your heart
  • Carefully ponder how the word applies to your everyday life
  • Dwell on how the word changes your situation
  • See yourself as God sees you
  • Realize the integrity of God’s word

Here is a prayer with confidence as you sit down to study and meditate on the word:

Father, in the name of Jesus, I come before you today. I take authority over satan and bind his operation in my life. I pray that the eyes of my understanding are enlightened that I may know how rich is Your inheritance in the saints, that I may be filled with the knowledge of Your will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding, walking fully pleasing to You, increasing in the knowledge of God.
Father, I pray that I will be rooted and built up in Jesus, established in the faith. I am confident that He which began a good work in me will continue until the day of Christ.
I know You have heard my prayer, so I know that I have the petitions that I ask. Thank You in Jesus’ Name.

Prayer References:  Eph 1:16-18; Col 1:9-12, 2:6-10; Php 1:6; 1John 5:14-15

Adapted from KCM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stretch

Isa. 54:2 “Enlarge the place of your tent, And let them stretch out the curtains of your dwellings; Do not spare; Lengthen your cords, And strengthen your stakes. The concept of stretching is very important for anyone who desires to make any meaningful progress in life. God has so designed everything in a manner that makes it almost impossible to make progress without any stretch. Even the human body grows by this same concept. It has been revealed that for a muscle to grow, it must first undergo "micro-tears." When you lift a weight that is slightly too heavy, the muscle fiber stretches and tears. It is only in the repair of those tears that the muscle becomes larger and stronger than before. If there is no tension, there is no transformation. The "pain" of the stretch is actually the signal that growth is happening. So If the human body grows by stretching, it follows to say that to reach anything significant in this life, we must stretch. God will always require ...

Resist The Pressure to Perform

A quote often attributed to Abraham Lincoln says, "If I had six hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend the first four hours sharpening the axe." Yet we live in a time when everyone seems to be more concerned with how quickly they can cut down their own tree than with whether their axe is sharp enough to get the job done. This reflects the intense pressure to perform that many of us face every day. When I speak of the pressure to perform, I am not referring only to workplace demands, but to the pressure we experience in our personal lives to produce visible results. Pressure can be a good thing when it is properly managed. It can motivate us to grow, improve, and reach our goals. However, when left unchecked, it can become destructive. One of the surest ways to manage the pressure to perform is by refusing to let the success of others become a source of unhealthy pressure in your own life. If you allow that to happen, you do yourself a great disservice. It is only natural to...

Value Vessels

In a wealthy home some utensils are made of gold and silver, and some are made of wood and clay. The expensive utensils are used for special occasions, and the cheap ones are for everyday use. If you keep yourself pure, you will be a special utensil for honorable use. Your life will be clean, and you will be ready for the Master to use you for every good work. (2Tim.2:20-21) Men look at the use of a vessel, but God looks at its value. Wooden and earthen vessels in a house may appear more useful than gold and silver vessels, but the gold and silver vessels are far more valuable. God’s point of view, His regard is not for use; it is for value. It is not performance that brings the glory of God, it is value. How do you bring about this value? Start by fixing your Love walk Love is the halmark of our Christian faith Love for God and people is what attracts the glory of God upon a man and makes the man valuable. In a previous article I wrote I shared my thoughts on Paul and Silas’ experienc...